Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Whole Wheat Semolina Pasta


Whole Wheat Semolina Pasta
Originally uploaded by L.TON
I've been obsessed with two different things in the kitchen as of late. 1. Pumpkin everything (I bought a giant cooking pumpkin) and 2. Homemade pasta.

After making a semi-successful Pumpkin Ravioli (yum filling, crappy dough), I refused to NEVER EVER roll pasta dough out by hand EVER AGAIN. On an afternoon run downtown, I cruised past a store that happened to have one in stock, so for $16.99 (plus the 10.25% chi/IL tax) I picked up a great little pasta roller.

With a mixture of whole wheat flour, all purpose and semolina, I concocted a little ball of pasta dough (and surprisingly proportioned for just 2 people!!!). An easy to put together recipe, longest part is letting it rest, and cranking it through the machine, some yummy, healthy homemade pasta!

Note: this only makes about .75 lbs ish of pasta (I am guessing), you can easily double this recipe

Also Note: I used my Kitchen Aid stand Mixer, dough hook attached, on low

Whole Wheat Semolina Pasta

ingredients

0.5 c AP flour
0.5 c whole wheat flour
0.5 c semolina flour
0.25 tsp sea salt
2 large eggs,
2 teaspoon olive oil

instructions

1. combine dry ingredients
2. make a well
3. in a separate bowl, beat the eggs and olive oil together,
4. pour into well
5. mix slowly until a dough ball forms, knead for another 3-4 minutes
6. if needed, add 1-2 teaspoon water to make dough ball
7. once dough is together, wrap in plastic
8. let rest for 2 hrs in the refrigerator
9. roll it out! Let the ball come up to room temp, cut in half, and roll into desired thickness and shape. In the photo, I rolled out to dial number 5, fettuccine cut ** if it is a little sticky, dust flour as needed **
10. put in pot of boiling water, boil for 4-5 minutes.


makes ~0.75 lbs pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment