Sunday, October 4, 2009

Chai Chocolate Chip Cookies with Nuts

Once again, I start this blog post of "I haven't posted a recipe in a really long time...."

As most (I think) you know, I have relocated to the Windy City (aka Chicago) doing an accelerated 9 month MS program in Biotechnology at Rush University Medical Center. But enough about all of that, back to the important stuff. I ended up in an amazing apartment that has a kitchen that is awesome to cook and bake in! Gas stove and a giant island? Yeah! Plenty of space to knead dough and roast turkeys!

So while I should be studying for my first big pharmacology exam, I decided to bake some cookies instead. How studious of me! Baking is just an edible form of science, at least that's what I keep telling myself and fuels my neurons!

Adapted from this chocolate chip cookie recipe, I made modifications to fit the ingredients I had on hand. I added some Chai Latte Powder (from Trader Joe's) which adds a nice, very subtle chai spiciness to it and the addition of chopped mixed nuts with some dried cranberries adds great textural elements. The nuts and chai are completely optional. For the nuts, I used Trader Joe's "Simply the best Trek Mix".

Chai Chocolate Chip Cookies with Nuts

ingredients
1/3 c. organic sugar
1/3 c. light brown organic sugar
1/2 c. earth balance soy garden buttery spread (or just 1 stick of butter will be fine)
1 lrg egg, beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1 1/4 c. organic AP flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 tsp salt
1 scoop Trader Joe's Chai Latte mix (optional)

1 c. chocolate chips
1 cup of chopped mixed nuts (optional)

Instructions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

-Using a mixer (hand or stand), mix sugar, brown sugar, butter, vanilla and eggs in a large bowl until "fluffy".

-Mix in the rest of the ingredients, except for the chocolate chips and mixed nuts, until well mixed

- Mix in chocolate chip cookies & nuts until evenly distributed in the batter. NOTE: It won't be super stiff cookie dough.

-Drop tablespoon sized balls onto an ungreased cookie sheet.

-Bake 8-10 minutes until golden brown

-Let cool until firm, remove and finish cooling on wire rack.

Consume with lots of milk!!!

yields about 18 cookies in about 20 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment