Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Pan Seared Mahi Mahi


Pan Seared Mahi Mahi
Originally uploaded by L.TON
Oh my goodness I don't even remember the last time I posted was… pre birthday maybe? ::checks blog::, yup June 1st. Okay, so 2 months later, what has happened?

1. I turned 25!
2. I graduated from Rush!
3. I moved out of Chicago
4. I drove across the mid atlantic with my parents back to CT. The most exciting part was probably somewhere in the middle of Ohio, where my car locked itself, with the keys in the ignition. WHAT?? you might say? Well, for some of you that have driven in my Corolla, I have been swearing on my life that my car is possessed and it goes nuts and goes locking wonky. Well, the one time I ever leave the keys in the ignition, the doors locked (windows closed) as my mother and I stood outside stretching it out. Thankfully 45 minutes later and some help from AAA, we are back on the road and make it safe to CT.
5. I had a great time in CT, love my shandrea
6. I met Dan's Mom!
7. Watched THE MOST EPIC FIREWORKS SHOW IN BOSTON EVER. AMAZING!!!
8. Dan met my mom and dad (again)
9. Dan and I began our trip out to CO, with a detour in Hoboken NJ (note to self, never take the GW Bridge, regardless of what time it is) and the Eastern Shore of VA.
10. We blazed across country from VA --> Indy --> Boulder in just 2 days. Missouri was the best because at Chick fil a, they looked like they never saw an asian in their entire life! ha!
11. I moved to Boulder, CO.

So what am I doing now you might ask me? Well, really I've been catching up on a lot of sleep. a lot. I'd say MONTHS worth. I've also been quite busy with the "job hunting" business, which, well is slow going, but going. Lots of hiking and biking and movie watching and really just enjoying everything there is to love about summer. I tried baking cookies once. They turned out mediocre at best. This high altitude baking, ::sigh:: well… I guess I have to start over! Other tasty things I have made have included no bake cheese cake, grilled stuffed zucchini, citrus brown sugar glazed salmon, stuffed chicken thighs, and things of the like.... sorry I haven't blogged them!

And today, what will we be focusing on? Ahh, the irony is that I am landlocked and I will be blogging about fish! Mahi mahi is not too steaky of a fish, not too flakey, just a nice in between. You might frequently see it in fish tacos too. Sear it in bacon fat and topped with caramelized onions? Suuureeee. If you are like me and don't frequently cook bacon, I suggest just going to a local butcher or Whole Foods, where they sell bacon in the deli/meat case and buy 2 or 3 slices. you want the nice thick kind. I used the applewood smoked. The scent of applewood smoked in the pan is enough just to eat bacon for dinner, let alone topping it on some pan seared fish that was seared in the bacons drippings. Don't worry about over cooking the bacon. I always loved the texture the crispy adds to the fish. Some bits might even be burnt looking by the end of the cooking process but sooooo good.

Other things: I've been trying to perfect the art of literally cooking for 2. Its hard, but I have been able to do it… sort of. This last dinner cooking round, was perfect. Nothing left over and perfectly satiated. I'm only going to blog about the protein part. Wilting spinach in garlic butter seems pretty self explanatory, and mashed potatoes, well they aren't really anything special. Minced fresh rosemary, fresh minced garlic, butter, and heavy whipping cream all whipped together with some boiled Idaho Potatoes and salt in a kitchen aid mixer.

TIP: you'll have to cube up the bacon into bits. since it is a fatty piece of meat, throw it in the freezer for 15 minutes before you start cooking. The cold will firm up the fat and make it much easier to chop up

One more thing.... from now on, my cooking times might be longer, baking times might be higher.... due the fact that I am at a little bit of a high elevation, so for times and temperature, please use your common sense... if it looks done, and is starting to burn, mayyyybeee it just might be done!


Pan Seared Mahi Mahi topped with Carmelized Onion & Bacon Crisps

ingredients
.75 lbs mahi mahi, portioned
2 strips of applewood smoked bacon (thick),
.5 sweet onion, thinly sliced
s&p to taste


instructions
1. take your bacon and cut it in half length wise, then cut the other way to cube it up
2. heat up pan to medium high heat
3. toss in bacon and cook until greeeassyyy (ie fat is rendered and meaty bits begin to crisp up)
4. toss in onion, sauté until onions become slightly browned, season mahi mahi with S&P
5. put in mahi mahi on top of the onion and bacon to sear, 5-7 min
6. flip and sear other side, 5-7 min
7. it will be cooked once it starts to be flaky or reach internal temperature (at the thickest part) of 145F.
8. serve topped with caramelized onion and bacon

nom nom!

.75 lbs of fish is enough for 2 portions. + sides

No comments:

Post a Comment